In addition to my main teaching job at university, I also work in retail. Though many businesses have been forced to close due to the pandemic and the Stage 4 lockdown restrictions here in Victoria, my store is still operating on a click-and-collect basis, so one of my jobs at work is to go around picking items for orders. While picking an order full of children’s art supply products the other day, I saw a Crayola art set on the shelf. The art supplies themselves didn’t interest me, but I really liked the brightly coloured case, which looked like it could be converted into a cute field easel/paint box with a bit of tinkering.
Given I have no use for the Crayola art materials, I was struggling to justify spending the money just for the case, until I realised that if I added a few extra goodies to my order, I’d have enough to put together some little entertainment packages that I could send out to some bored kids who are also in lockdown in Victoria.
Therefore, I’m happy to announce… *drumroll please* my first competition! T&Cs and prize packs are explained below (please read before entering), but I decided to run a drawing competition for kids in Victoria. With Halloween coming up at the end of this month, I thought it would be appropriate to run with a spooky theme, so the drawing competition will be based on the following prompt for young artists (ages 4-12 years):
“Draw yourself as something scary for Halloween.”
Do you have a dream costume you’d love to wear for Halloween to scare people into giving you treats? Ever wished you could turn into a terrifying monster for a day? Now is your chance to bring those ideas to life. You can draw yourself as anything you like, but it has to be something SCARY.
Judgement will be made based on a combination of factors, so while drawing skill is an advantage, winning drawings will also be chosen for being particularly funny, scary, clever or cute.
There will be two categories for the competition. One for younger artists (ages 4-7) and one for older artists (ages 8-12). Two Runner Up winners will be chosen from each age group, plus one overall 1st Prize winner from both age groups combined.
Once your child has created their drawing based on the above prompt, simply scan it or take a photo of it and email it to artdragon_competitions(at)outlook(dot)com with your child’s first name and age.
The competition is open until 11.59pm on the 31st of October, so tell your kids to get drawing 🙂
Prize packs will be put together from the following pool of items.
Each winner will receive one lot of the supplies listed below. The 1st Prize winner will receive the 64 crayons. Runners Up in the 8-12 year category will receive either the 20 long markers or the 20 pencils. Runners Up in the 4-7 year category will receive either the 20 short markers or the 16 pack of crayons.
All winners will receive one of the following colouring books (allocated at random).
Each winner will receive one pencil case (colour allocated at random) and one packet of strawberry scented stickers (1st Prize winner will also receive a packet of chocolate scented stickers).
The 1st Prize winner and each of the 8-12 year-old Runner Up winners will receive a children’s novel or graphic novel (top row). The 4-7 year-old Runner Up winners will receive a Disney picture book (bottom row).
The 1st Prize winner will also receive a puzzle/activity book and some sheets of drawing paper.
Though some kids have already been able to go back to school in Victoria, many still can’t go and visit friends or go out to have fun because of the lockdown restrictions, so I hope these prize packs help ease some of the boredom for the winners. Below is an itemised description of each prize pack.
- 64 Crayola crayons + 1 pencil case + 1 colouring book + 1 activity book + 2 sticker packs + 1 children’s novel + drawing paper
Runner Up Prizes (8-12 year-olds)
- 20 Crayola markers + 1 pencil case + 1 colouring book + 1 sticker pack + 1 children’s novel
- 20 Crayola pencils + 1 pencil case + 1 colouring book + 1 sticker pack + 1 children’s novel
Runner Up Prizes (4-7 year-olds)
- 20 Crayola markers + 1 pencil case + 1 colouring book + 1 sticker pack + 1 Disney picture book
- 16 Crayola crayons + 1 pencil case + 1 colouring book + 1 sticker pack + 1 Disney picture book
Terms and Conditions
- The competition is open until 11.59pm AEST on 31st of October, 2020. Entries made after this time will be invalid.
- Drawings must be submitted by the child’s parent or guardian (over the age of 18).
- Entries should be submitted to the email address artdragon_competitions(at)outlook(dot)com. The entry should include a photo of the drawing and the child’s first name and age.
- One overall 1st Prize winner and four Runner Up winners (two each from the 4-7 year-old age groups and the 8-12 year-old age groups) will be selected within a week of the competition’s end date. If your child’s drawing is selected as a winner, I will contact you by return email to get your postal address. If a winner does not reply to me with their postal address within 48 hours, they will be disqualified and another winner will be chosen.
- Entrants must have a Victorian postal address in Australia. If a winner is selected but does not supply a Victorian address, they will be disqualified and another winner will be chosen.
- Multiple children per family may enter a drawing, however no more than one winner from a family will be chosen.
- The decision of who wins the prize packs and which combination of colouring book/pencil case/art supplies/story book each winner receives will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- I will try to post the prize packs within a week of receiving all postal addresses from winners, however I cannot take responsibility for any prize packs that are lost or delayed in the post.
- Winning entries will be posted in a follow-up blog post after the competition has ended and winners have been notified. Only the drawing, first name and age of each winner will be included (no photos, surnames or other identifying details will be included).
UPDATE 5th November, 2020: Competition winners have been notified and have been sent their prize packs. Unfortunately I only had three entrants so I still have two prize packs left. I may run another drawing or colouring competition in the lead-up to Christmas.
hi my children will love this I am going to tell them now, but umm how do we submit our kids drawing
Hi, the competition was for 2020 and ended on Halloween of that year, so no more entries can be accepted.